January 16, 2015

REVIEW: The Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley





Circe Quinn goes to sleep at home and wakes up in a corral filled with women wearing sacrificial virgin attire - and she is one of them. She soon finds out that she’s not having a wild dream, she’s living a frightening nightmare where she’s been transported to a barren land populated by a primitive people and in short order, she’s installed very unwillingly on her white throne of horns as their Queen.



Dax Lahn is the king of Suh Tunak, The Horde of the nation of Korwahk and with one look at Circe, he knows she will be his bride and together they will start The Golden Dynasty of legend.


Circe and Lahn are separated by language, culture and the small fact she’s from a parallel universe and has no idea how she got there or how to get home. But facing challenge after challenge, Circe finds her footing as Queen of the brutal Korwahk Horde and wife to its King, then she makes friends then she finds herself falling in love with this primitive land, its people and especially their savage leader.




It was a rough start. Not because it was bad or anything, well, the events that took place were. It begins with Circe, a young woman from modern Seattle waking up in a pen with other women in an unknown world. She has no idea how she got there, all she knows is that some of the other women look as terrified as she feels. When she asks what is happening, she learns that the Wife hunt will shortly begin.

The Korwahk warriors will hunt them down to claim as their wife. From that moment on I was completely hooked to this story. I was as scared as Circe was. Yes, there was a rape scene in this book that happens during the Wife hunt.

It was tough to get through and it made me hurt for Circe. But, I was captivated by this foreign world that Circe found herself in.



I discovered one of my all time favorite books was released in paperback for the first time, I bought that paperback right away! I meant to skim my favorite parts, but ended up completely rereading the entire book. And it was just as good if not better the second time around.



Anyways this is one of those epic romances that completely tears you apart on the inside and then puts you back together again. It's unconventional and yet it's beautiful and quite possibly the best book this author has ever written. If you haven't read it yet, you need to. 


After going through the terrible claiming part of the hunt, Circe is now the wife of the King, Dax 'King' Lahn. Circe has become the Golden Queen of the Korwahk people. Lahn is a savage warrior. The differences in culture and language were vast but it was interesting to see how these two work to slowly understand each other. The way Lahn behaved was totally different to any man of today. 

They have a way of doing things that seemed cruel and unfair but "it is their way" as it is mentioned in the book. It doesn't excuse the brutal things Circe went through at the start, but it does help to understand why it happened. They are both from completely different worlds and I loved reading about them coming together. They didn't always see eye to eye and they argued a lot, but somehow they managed to compromise.


The story was a beautiful and emotional one. I enjoyed the bit of action, although it was kind of brutal, and the bit of angst we get. It was so amazingly well written. I was hooked to this story, the language, the culture, the secondary characters, and of course the romance between Lahn and Circe. I enjoyed every moment. I felt anger, hurt, frustration, sad, happy and love.

Like I mentioned before, Lahn made me swoon so hard that he turned me into a big pile of goo. My heart melted with his sweetness. Circe was feisty, strong and kind. She was an awesome heroine, one I actually loved as well. I loved that she could challenge Lahn and be just as possessive as he was.

Seriously, I can't tell you enough how good this was. It is definitely a book I would read again and again. It was long, yet it felt like it wasn't long enough. I didn't want it to end. I absolutely recommend this book. If you have yet to read this book, then I would say that you go read it right freaking now. 











Post a Comment

Latest Pins

© Night Session Reader. Design by FCD.