January 22, 2016

REVIEW: Breathe by Kristen Ashley





There's nothing like the first time . . . 



In Carnal, Colorado, Faye Goodknight is the town's quiet, shy librarian. She may also be Carnal's last remaining virgin. For years, Faye has had a crush on Chace Keaton, but the gorgeous cop has always been unattainable. She's resigned to live contentedly with only her books for company-until Faye suddenly meets Chace alone in the woods . . . 



Chace doesn't think he's the good guy everyone believes him to be. He's made a lot of choices he regrets, including denying his feelings for Faye. Through his choices, he's come to believe the pretty librarian is too good for him, but after their time in the woods, Chace realizes that she may be his last chance for redemption. Soon, their long simmering desires grow to a burning passion. Yet always casting a shadow over their happiness is Chace's dark past . . .





Her typical elements were all there. It started with a bang, Chace had his share of A-hole moments to get my juices flowing and it had a hot, stirring romance between a virgin and a broken cop. The courtship was very arousing because of Faye’s inexperience and Chace’s he-man qualities in the bedroom. I still blush occasionally when KA writes her sex descriptions and dialog. Sometimes Chace’s choice of words were shockingly direct and made me flinch…in a good way.



Faye has to be one of my favorite KA heroines. She was innocent, vulnerable and sweet; family oriented, dedicated and such a big, fat LIAR! I loved her backbone! Faye had a brand of quiet that was strong and fierce and boy, could she grandstand when she got pissed. A couple of scenes I was cheering her on, thinking you go girl! (view spoiler) She went all Clint Eastwood, I could just hear, “Go ahead, make my day” coming from her sweet, little librarian mouth. All the girls were back from the previous stories helping Faye get her man. 







There was a murder mystery to solve which was introduce in Lady Luck. This was my only slight criticism because I didn’t really care about it. There wasn’t a huge plot development or new information to make me overly concerned. I think mainly it lacked my interest because there was another side story that overshadowed it so greatly. Malachi/Miah was a homeless boy that totally stole the show. His story had me holding my breath with anticipation. His life was harsh and brutal and I was so into finding out about this fierce, broken boy that my focus was completely surrounding his circumstances. He brought out my emotions several times. It was heartbreaking, but yet beautiful in how Chace, Faye and her family took care of him.

The story was also about Chace’s evolution. He had a lot to overcome from the ending in Lady Luck, going from bad cop, worse husband to hero. I knew eventually all those wonderful attributes I have to have in my heroes; possessive, confident, protective, as well as, gorgeous, sexy, and all alpha, would reveal themselves in Chace. 

So yes, the story structure was familiar, with amazing characters, mystery and violence, and at times the hero’s crude dialog was present, but “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” is my motto. You won’t be disappointed if you are a fan of Kristen Ashley, with her alpha heroes and her style of writing.

KA did a great job in tying everything together so perfectly from beginning to end. I don’t want to elaborate too much because I would have to reveal some big spoilers and connections, but lets just say they were big and they made all my insides warm and my smile huge.

The epilogue was so precious and just how I like my endings. It was like the energizer bunny…it kept going and going and giving and giving until my satisfaction was guaranteed. I mean let’s face it, I never want a KA book to end, I am too in love with the characters so it was perfect for me to have a gazillion happy endings.





Post a Comment

Latest Pins

© Night Session Reader. Design by FCD.